Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Few Thank-You's

A Quick Shout Out to Friends and Family


I'm limited by the cost and time limits on prison e-mail, phone and snail mail in how I respond to individual messages of support. I just want to let you know that I do receive them, that they mean a whole lot to me and that it sometimes takes me a while to respond individually. Please keep your messages coming: they make my days and keep my spirits up. If I forgot to mention you, it means that I may not have received your message yet or that my mind blanked in my allotted 15 minutes at the computer: each post is an exercise in frantic speed-typing.


So without further ado:

Judith L: thank you once again for your support, both spiritual and financial. I really appreciate that you have taken the initiative to reach out. I hope you're able to reconnect with Amy and others. I look forward to spending time with you once this is all over.

Reidster: thank you so much for the card. I know how little you like to write, so for you that must have been the equivalent of Tolstoy writing War and Peace. I really appreciate it and will write back soon. We did have some great times, didn't we? I hope you're having an equally great summer. Don't worry: I don't blame our long-ago transgressions for my current prison sentence although we did cross the line a few times.

Linda: thank you for the kale chip recipe. Because of you, today we made them in the chow hall. They were for the guards but most of the kitchen inmates tried a bite.  I can't say they were a resounding success: most of my co-workers spit them out in the garbage can. But for those of us who appreciate such things they were truly delicious. 

Nancy B: David says he loves you MORE! 
(He bunks near me and in large part because of you is surviving his experience with grace and aplomb (much more than me, I'm ashamed to admit)).

Alice/Ari: I can't wait to see you here. Your efforts to keep contact with me and to come visit mean a whole lot to me. Don't miss your chance to see an honest-to-god prison. Don't worry: it's not as bad as you might think. Ari: good luck with your move.

Bobby: Thank you for writing me that wonderful message. I'm glad you've been enjoying reading my posts. Your support and loyalty to Cinnamon and his family is truly remarkable. Your long wait will soon be rewarded. I hope we someday have the chance to meet. And I'd love to plug your interesting invention on my blog: prison toilets are a huge untapped market!

My Sister: thank you for being there for me and for doing so much to make my time in here bearable. Thank you too for being the glue that holds our family together. Happy Birthday!!!!

Jason L: I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your release. I was coming over from North Camp just as you left. Best of luck re-establishing yourself and your life. If anyone can do it successfully, it is you: Manhattan's been awaiting your return. Just so you know, when you left, a bunch of us cried: out of joy and sadness, both. South Camp won't be the same without you. I imagine you reading this from the outside and want you to know that I am jealous. And happy for you.

V and T: I hope you're not reading this but that someday you do. You're my love and my life, what keeps me going. I think about you almost every minute. I wish I could have been there for your first day of new school. But, as always, it sounds like you handled it well. I'm sorry for all the changes I forced upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment